Saturday, May 12, 2012

Trying to think about what I am rather than what I am not

I am not a mother this Mother's Day.  And if Mama tells me she will be wishing me a happy mother's day next year, I may break down and cry because I doubt a baby will ever happen.

But maybe if I focus on what I am, I will feel one teensy bit better.

1. I am a physician.  I have the best job in the entire world.  I go to work each day to make people feel better and teach students the art and science of medicine.  I make crying patients smile.  Is that even a job?  A calling, really.
2. I am the winner of a Hopwood award.  I won't say which category or which year because I want to remain anonymous.  But dang, I won a HOPWOOD.  If you don't know, that is the same award Arthur Miller won during his time at the University of Michigan.
3. According to the in-training exam, I am in the top 5% of internal medicine first-year residents in the nation.  (It's clearly inaccurate, but...)
4. I am tough!  I said a last goodbye to my almost-son, got on a plane home, and spent the night admitting patients at the hospital.
5. I make the best matzah-ball soup and the best challah and one killer Tzvia cake.  Don't mess with me on Erev Shabbos.
6. I am witty.
7. I get along with my mother-in-law.  (Trust me.  This one deserves to be on this list.)
8. I can do peppy on three hours of sleep.
9. My eyelashes are so long that when I wear mascara, people think they're fake.
10. I can run for a code in heels and be first on the patient.

1 comment:

  1. I posted a card on my fb for my infertile friends and my mom wished me a Happy Pre Mothers Day. I read that and wanted to cry. I have been through so much this past year I just for once want it to be my turn. Keep your chin up!!!

    ReplyDelete