Wednesday, August 8, 2012

In Which Our heroine should be happy about the latest update, but is instead terrified

This is a whiney, desperate-sounding post.  You have been warned.  But there is comic relief at the end.

If not excited I should at least be glad that things are moving forward.  Our donor's colonoscopy was normal, so; God-willing, we anticipate a mid-September transfer.  It will likely fall on or around Rosh Hashanah, the Jewish New Year.

I should be looking forward.  I neither expect nor want to be excited or optimistic.  But must I be terrified?  I keep envisioning losing another baby or babies.  And I don't know if I'm strong enough.  I know I come from a line of strong women.  But I don't even feel like a real girl.  (Cue the Pinocchio music.)  And I had some Very Black Days and some Very Black Thoughts during this process.  I never acted on them.  But what if...?

My mentor gave me her usual wise advice today:  I need to remember I'm not in control, and I need to remember that motherhood is not the only role that defines me, nor is it the be-all and end-all.  Of course she is right.  But I struggle to take her advice.  I want to be a mother more than anything else in the entire world.  And I don't think it's just wanting what I can't (ever?) have.  I want to be a mother because I want to be a mother.  I changed my sister's diapers when I was ten years old.  In high school, I read my little siblings bedtime stories and drove carpool.  At Shabbos dinner I spend more time with my baby cousins than with the grown-ups.  There was even a period where my little sister would call me "Mama" by mistake.

Give me children or I shall surely die!

(And yes, I know Jacob's reply.)

I know I mustn't think too many steps ahead.  And I know that I shouldn't focus on a timeline because I "won't be less of a mother just because it happens at forty-five instead of twenty-eight."  But honestly -- it doesn't feel that way.  I do feel like less of a mother because I play no role in the creation of this baby.  I know this is foolish.  If someone else were talking like this to me, I would tell her that motherhood is about raising a child, not making a baby.  And the idea of waiting another seventeen years sounds SO INCREDIBLY PAINFUL.  I know that the moment I hold a baby or babies in my arms, if I ever do, the hurt will be healed and it won't matter if I am a geriatric parent.

I can't seem to take even my own advice, huh?

Do childless women get babies in Heaven?

I just want to curl up and cry, and maybe talk more with my mentor, but I have already taken up so much of her time.

Okay, I should provide at least some comic relief.  Here: I asked a patient to provide a urine drug screen today.  He provided a cup of water.  Um, busted!

And how about other good news: Husband and I celebrate our third anniversary this weekend.  We have reservations at a very fancy restaurant, and I'll be wearing the dress from our American reception, and I even bought nail polish.  I haven't bought nail polish since I was thirteen.  It's ridiculously frivolous, and why would I want to be unable to do anything for two hours while the polish dried?  But I like being girly because stupid things like nail polish and makeup make me feel like a real girl.  You don't need chromosomes or hormones to do that.

I just wish I could get out of this self-centered rut.  I need to remember how lucky I am.  Even just to be alive is a gift.

I need to get a grip.

No comments:

Post a Comment