Sunday, May 29, 2011

In which our heroine says cooks, says goodbye to her best friends, and celebrates her new degree

Here's to a beautiful, sunshine-y day!  It's been raining most every day since we returned home, so as I sit in the family room now I have our house's double-doors thrown wide open to let in as much light as possible.

It's been a fun but emotional few days.  We sent our best friends from medical school stayed with us for two days and we had a wonderful time hanging out, eating or trying to find someplace that sells frozen yogurt, and cooking.  I taught her how to make my matzah-ball soup of bicontinental fame (the secret is that the longer you cook it, the better it tastes, and baby carrots just don't cut it) and my challah -- really a good friend from Israel's recipe.  She taught me how to make what we call "the Rachel Ray thing," a scruptious pasta dish that involves roasting grape tomatoes and garlic cloves in lots of olive oil and salt, tossing the tomatoes with angel-hair pasta, and using some pasta water to make a paste out of the garlic, which you then also toss in with the pasta.  Then you add mozzarella.  Mmmmm.....I meant to add fresh basil but it was too late.  That's for next time.  We even got manicures and pedicures.  Not something I would ordinarily do -- in fact have never done of my own volition - but I will say it is fun to look at pretty nails and not my typical amateur filing job with no polish because I haven't the patience to let it dry.  Meanwhile, the husband half of our best friends was supervising their movers and running errands.  I like this division of labor.  (We did feed him the fruits of our culinary labor, so I guess we're not too terrible.  And she did help with the cleaning of the apartment.)

Sadly, we then sent the two of them off the Washington, DC where they will be doing their respective residencies.  I know they're only a phone call away, and we will visit each other, but we won't be able to meet up spontaneously at least once a week, and we'll be busy interns.  I miss them already.  At least I do have another good friend who will be doing her residency at the same hospital as I will.  I have a feeling we'll need to support each other.

Yesterday my parents threw me a beautiful open house in honor of graduation.  I originally intended to have something simple at my house, but it ended up being a fairly large party at my parents' house.  No complaints, though. We almost ran into trouble since we called the restaurant at the last minute to arrange to pick up food, but fortunately our second choice came through and the weather held out just long enough.  I tried to visit with everyone but it was hard; I hope I didn't leave anyone out and nobody felt neglected.  It's challenging to make everyone feel welcome!  I am really grateful to everyone for sharing in this simcha (happy occasion) with my family and me.

Today's agenda consists of a walk, thank-you notes, and turning bananas into banana bread.  Tomorrow is going to be great!  We are invited to a barbecue and then...I get to meet Faith Fitzgerald!!!!!!  She is the internal medicine equivalent of a rock star, and a colleague of my parents is bringing her in and inviting my parents and me to dinner.  And...said colleague is apparently a gourmet cook.  I met Dr. Fitzgerald at Internal Medicine 2009, when she did a Professors in Action case about bromium (I think.) But then I was one of many audience members.  Now I will actually get to bask in her brilliance.  The unfortunate corollary is that she will realize that medical schools are producing incompetent interns-to-be, but oh well.  I'm still super-excited.

And now everyone is super bored of reading this update, I'm sure.  So have a wonderful day and that's it!

No comments:

Post a Comment