Wednesday, June 5, 2013

In Which Infertility wins...again...but the score isn't final for a week.

Riddle of the day:  What is more fun than four failed IVFs with three lost babies?  Why, five failed IVFs with four lost babies, of course!  And for extra fun, how about having that loss occur when you're in Israel, far from your support network, and every SINGLE one of your couple-friends has at least one baby and some have two.

I have been quiet, dear readers, because I was afraid to put an Evil Eye on this last cycle.  We transferred two embryos on 9 May and got a beta-hCG of 64 on 20 May.  Our repeat beta-hCG on 22 May was 166.  Our dear surrogate started having symptoms - mild ones, so I was glad she wasn't suffering -- but enough that I thought things might be working out.  But I didn't want to announce anything even to the blogosphere.

But on 3 June, which was the 6-week scan, our little one measured on 5w1d and there wasn't a heartbeat.  Of course it's very early but to measure so behind is concerning.

Surrogate is scheduled for a repeat ultrasound next Thursday.  Nobody is very hopeful, though.  Dear readers, do any of you know of a similar case which ended in success?  I am already assuming this is a lost baby but am trapped in limbo.

I'm not sure what our next step will be.  We have six frozen embryos but I don't want to proceed without first having a WTF conversation with the doctor.  I also need to figure out how many more cycles, losses, I can take.  Husband remains stupidly, steadfastly opposed to adoption.

So meanwhile, we have another week and a half of "fun" in the very hot Israeli sun.  We actually have had a pretty nice time thus far.  We're at a lovely boutique hotel in Tel Aviv and have been to the beach, walked Sheinkin, and eaten hummus at Abu Hassan.  (Those in the know, know.  And those who don't -- get your tush to Jaffa and order a plate!)  We have also of course spent time with Husband's family and friends, and tonight we are meeting his friends at a fancy steak restaurant.  Husband's niece and nephew are absolutely adorable.  They're both school aged and I helped his niece with her homework the other night.  She is a bit impish but I like that about her.  Nephew is a little energizer bunny -- he doesn't stop moving :o)

Anyway, I have to catch up on some emails, so this is it for now.

4 comments:

  1. Oh Mim I am so sorry. This sucks. I really hope that things turn around and catch up to the week/day marker you need, but I am sure it is difficult to feel optimistic at this point. I am so sorry that you are going trhough this. It is so , so unfair. I am sending you love an hugs from abroad!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, K! I really appreciate it. Definitely sending a hug right back!

      Delete
  2. It is VERY early to think that this is a failure. With my daughter my first beta was 41, the second only 65. At our first scan, we weren't given much hope of the pregnancy continuing. My daughter is now almost 5. I have found that at only 6 weeks, most doctors are woefully inadequate at measuring anything correctly. Usually the first US is just to make sure that there is a pregnancy in there, and that it is not in the fallopian tubes. You can't rule anything our until the second one. Best of luck to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for your encouragement! It really means a lot and I was certain all was lost. At least now I have some small hope. Hope you are having a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete