Monday, August 1, 2011

A good book and a good cake

So our heroine has again contracted bronchitis.  Fortunately, she is not scheduled to work again until Wednesday night.  Instead there will be much tea and Kleenex.  Also there will be sending of parentage forms to our lawyer in Illinois.  These are supposed to be done by around week twelve, but I'm superstitious....anyway, they are going out today.

Theoretically, it wouldn't hurt if I did a little academic reading as well.  But fiction is so much more fun!  I'm reading the House of God by Samuel Shem.  It's engrossing  I can identify with parts of each character.  It's also fun sort-of reading about medicine without feeling as if I must commit to memory every factoid.  The feelings of incompetence, elation when something goes right, inability of outsiders to understand, frustration when being forced to deliver futile care...all so real!  I was so wiped out from this URI that it took me an hour to muster the strength to get up from the sofa and shower, but I kept reading until Husband came to bed because the book has me hooked.  I didn't realize how much I miss that feeling of being totally engrossed in a book.  Sometimes I will say I wonder if I shouldn't have been a literature professor.  I feel so much more competent when I am in the literary arena than the hospital.  But I love patients and hopefully (please?) the competence will come with time?

Otherwise, how about a delicious cake recipe?  this one is named the Tzvia cake, because a lady named Tzvia taught us to make it.

3 eggs
1 cup oil
1/2 cup orang juice
almost 2 cups sugar
2 tsp baking powder
2 cups flour
fruit - can be frozen berries, cut plums, almost anything works -- but if you are using apples then I recommend sauteing them in some butter and brown sugar and vanilla

Directions:
Preheat oven to 355 and grease a loaf pan
Mix everything except the fruit together -- you don't even need an electric mixer.
Pour cake batter, then fruit, then cake batter, then fruit...
Bake for one hour -- may even need a little longer.  The crust will be crispy and brown but shouldn't really be burnt.

Enjoy!  Especially delicious served hot from the oven with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top!

No comments:

Post a Comment